Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Banana Bread Biscotti with Chocolate Chips & Pecans

[The artwork on the mug was done by our grandson, Ari--his interpretation of the artist Wassily Kandinsky]
My banana recipe of the month :-D  I tried to think of something new and different I had never tried with bananas and decided biscotti might be a good choice.

The name Biscotti translates to twice-cooked cookies or biscuits and have been one of my favorites since I learned to make them.  Traditional biscotti was made with almonds, pine nuts, or pistaschios, but I decided to stay true to my surroundings and add pecans (walnuts would also be good.)
I also added mini chocolate chips, but you could easily chop a chocolate bar or add another flavor like cinnamon chips.  Since they are twice cooked, you get a dry cookie that is begging to be dunked; tea, coffee, or even a glass of wine. 

Banana Bread Biscotti with Chocolate Chips & Pecans
10 T (1 stick + 2T) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 large, ripe banana, mashed
3 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup Pecans (or Walnuts) chopped
1 cup Mini Chocolate Chips

Cinnamon/Vanilla Sugar  

Preheat oven to 350F-degrees.  Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together.  Scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula as needed.  Add the eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated, on medium speed.  Add the vanilla extract and mashed banana and mix again.

Add the dry ingredients to the batter and mix only until combined on low or medium/low speed.  Stir in the chocolate chips and pecans.

Technique Tip Tuesday!

The batter is somewhat sticky, so the best way to create the "logs" of dough, use a large scoop.
Next, wet your fingers under the faucet and smooth the dough to a 3" wide x 12-15" length".  Sprinkle with the Cinnamon Vanilla Sugar (yes, you can make your own!)
  Place in the preheated oven and bake 25 - 30 minutes.  These took only 25 in my convection oven.
I let the logs cool about 10 minutes before transferring them to a large cutting board.  With a serrated knife, cut across the logs in 3/4"-1" slices.  Place down on the parchment lined baking and bake for 8 minutes.  Remove the sheet and turn the cookies over.  Place back in the oven and bake an additional 6 minutes. 

Cool the biscotti 5 minutes and then, transfer to a rack and cool completely.

My family are dunkers...how about You? Enjoy!

18 comments:

  1. My MIL used to make the best Biscotti. But I've never thought of using Bananas. Sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've used bananas in just about everything!

      Delete
  2. Love the tip for transferring sticky dough. We are dunkers for sure. I'd love to try banana chocolate chip biscotti. xoxo ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love biscotti, but when I make it it never tastes the same as store bought. I haven't stopped trying and will add your recipe to my challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found the combination of fat (butter) and eggs really turns out a perfect biscotti every time!

      Delete
  4. Making biscotti has been on my "to bake list" forever. Susan, do you think they would also freeze well? (I am worried they could get wet.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It freezes beautifully and if you do find it gets a little "wet," then, just pop it in a 325F-degree oven for 5-7 minutes to crisp it up again.

      Delete
  5. I like biscotti, too! if I'm not mistaken Grace has made this type of cookie. I'm sure you remember Grace.
    Bet you are glad you are in the south now because we had a snow storm and have a good 8" of snow today.
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sue, Of course I remember Grace! We actually got about 1/2 inch of snow, but it's cold for the next few days. I don't miss the cold winters in Connecticut, but I miss my stamping buddies:-D

      Delete
  6. My Mom loves Biscotti so this might be something I try for her! It does look good, as all your recipes do!! :)

    hugs, LInda

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love biscotti and made your last chocolate biscotti. It was delicious. I will now have to try this one. I didn't know you could freeze it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That banana bread biscotti sounds wonderful, Susan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Biscotti has always been my all time favorite. This banana bread biscotti is something I never tried! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These sound yummy! I haven't made biscotti yet either.... gotta put it on my "to do" list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never made biscotti but this sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never made this either - but this would be fun to make!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't baked any biscotti in a long while, this one comes really in time as there are still some ripe bananas sitting on my kitchen counter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Catching up on my blog reading! Yours always makes me want to bake immediately! :)

    ReplyDelete